Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mistake #1 in 2012: I am NOT Coupon Suzy!

If you didn't read the last post I quoted someone who wrote about making mistakes in this new year, because you don't really live unless you are making mistakes.  Well, I'm really living because I'm already making mistakes. I decided that one of the ways for me to get out of my UPS job was to become the coupon queen like those new celebrities on the coupon shows who pay $1.95 for $1,000 worth of groceries.  I thought even if I don't save 99.9% on my shopping, saving something is better than nothing!  So, I got some coupon queen e-mails, read through the flyers, cut out some coupons, and made a grocery list. By the time I was ready to go to the store, I couldn't find my list or the coupons.  I was not discouraged.  I cut out some more coupons and made a new list.  I wanted to get to the grocery store today because Saturday's are double coupon day at Rainbow. By the time I finally got to the store I realized I had forgotten my wallet.  Luckily I figured it out before I actually put groceries in my cart.  I went home thinking I would just pick up my wallet and head back to the store, but I couldn't find my wallet at home either.  I looked for an hour until I finally found it in the washing machine. 

I am definately discouraged now, but it reminds me of something I learned in therapy; don't try to be someone you are not.  I already know I'm not organized.  I will probably lose my wallet or my keys a hundred more times in the next twenty years.  So, my first new year resolution is going to be "focus on the things I'm good at."  That's a little vague, but it says a lot to me.  I hardly ever take the time to do things I'm good at because I'm always spending time trying to get better at things I'm not good at.  Besides writing, I've always wanted to try some creative projects like making a table out of mosaic tiles, decorating my house with antiques, especially very old books and renovating an old house. I was going to spend some time tomorrow going through the coupons in the paper, but I think I'll start looking for mosaic tiles instead.  Renovating a house might be biting off more than I can chew right now.   

5 comments:

Cathy said...

Gosh your blogs are interesting... and I'm so glad you remind me about them on FB or my feeble memory would forget to read them otherwise. I just wanted you to know that you're not alone when it comes to going to the market without your wallet. I've seen it happen a few times when I get groceries.. Carts with filled grocery bags sitting at Customer Service waiting for their shopper who had to run home and retrieve their forgotten wallet. Don't be too hard on yourself. It happens to all normal people. ;) Love you!

Jenny said...

Thanks, Cathy. Another good thing to remember; don't be so hard on myself. :)

Jessica said...

Or, have you ever been made to feel like an idiot because you answer "no" when the cashier asks if you have any coupons to use? Yes, most of the time I forget them too, if I have even found any good ones! I'm also like you in that I get so distracted all day long with the things I should be doing and feeling guilty devoting time to the things I'm good at and enjoy much more. You've always got such great thoughts and insight!

OH, and I just saw your comment about my mudroom. We did hire our handyman neighbor. I can give you his name if you're interested, or also the subcontractors he used (cabinets, flooring, window). And thank YOU for your comment :)

Steph said...

the washing machine?? really! : ) Oh, Jen, I soo enjoy reading your blog, although, I would enjoy talking to you a lot more!
I have always wanted to get into the mosaic tile thing too....I had teh opportunity to make a mosaic tile frame at a local library program, went with Biagio, funny, i finished my project, he lasted about 15 minutes! It was soo peaceful to do that, I love being focused on 1 thing with no distractions...have fun with your project! Take care! Your favorite room mate....

Jenny said...

Jessica, I'd love to have the handyman's name. I don't know when we'll get to it, but it's nice to have a referral. You could leave it on my e-mail. jlguiton@comcast.net. Thanks for reading!

Step, I'd love to be chatting with you too! So cool that you got to make a mosaic frame. I'm jealous. It's nice to keep in touch even if it's just blog and facebook for now. maybe when our kids are older... :) favorite roommate!