Monday, January 2, 2012

2012

I feel like I should be making some new year resolutions right now.  I've felt like that for a few days now, but I can't think of any.  I would love to have everything in my house to have a place, maybe even labeled?!  But that will happen when the stars align and cause a shift in the universe.  I would also love to be more disciplined, but that would be a lot of work.  I lost some weight at UPS, but I still have a little to go and it would be nice if I had a little bit of tone on something below my waist.  When I was younger, it didn't really matter what I ate as long as I went running, but I don't think I'll get any of that weight loss or toning without watching the high amounts of sugar I eat every day. 

I always feel like a failure when I make goals that I don't reach.  The last couple of years I haven't made any resolutions because I didn't want to fail.  But I read something on facebook that changed my mind.  Someone quoted Beth Anderson Lippert.  Ya, I don't know who she is either, but I like her quote, "I hope that in this year to come you make mistakes, because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world.  You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're doing something.  So, that's my wish for you, and all of us and myself.  make new mistakes.  Make glorious mistakes.  Make mistakes nobody's ever made before.  Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.  Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.  Make your mistakes, next year and forever."

I'm going to print this out and put it up somewhere I will see it so I don't forget that making mistakes is ok, because I really don't want to go through a whole year again frozen in fear and making excuses for getting things done....like my book!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Cathy said...

Happy New Year, dear friend. I haven't told you this but sometimes when I read your blog I can hear the late Andy Rooney's voice as if he's making his commentary on "60 Minutes". Sort of meandering thoughts that aren't too unlike our own. I encourage you to continue writing and doing new things in the New Year like you quoted author Neil Gaiman in your blog (Beth Anderson Lippert shared his words) because you are creative and gifted. Take a look at Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere". A fantasy novel turned 1996 t.v. mini-series. I think you would enjoy it. :)

Jenny said...

Thank you Cathy. That is a huge compliment and I'm glad you shared, because I'm going to put it up next to my computer for the times I don't feel like I can write (98% of the time). And I'll check out Neverwhere. Reading has been my new escape from reality since I can't drink anymore. :) Love you!

Steve, thanks for the invite. I'll check it out.