Sunday, January 9, 2011

Memories and Memoirs

I'm on an organizing kick and since it's only January I haven't run out of steam yet.  Tonight I was going through pictures, separating the scrap book worthy shots and the, 'not as good, but I can't throw them away' pictures.  The first set of photos were from this past summer; time with my family at a friend's cabin, Johnny's lacrosse games, Andy's baptism, my trip to Colorado with my good friend, Nancy to see another good friend, Nancy.  They were all good memories.  Then I found some older pictures; the foundation of our house being built in the middle of an empty field, my three little munchkins standing by the Christmas tree, Andy and his first best friend and Jenna asleep on the couch covered with graham crackers.  More good memories with a twinge of regret for not enjoying the little bit of time I had with my kids when they were little.  And then I found some old pictures; JB's and my first apartment, the day we got engaged, college softball, high school graduation, junior high holding my two year old sister on my shoulders, elementary age with my really hip plaid pants and a picture taken in the winter of me and my dad building a snowman.  I look about three years old.  I'm wearing a yellow coat with a pointy hat.  The snowman is decked out with real charcoal eyes, a top hat, a scarf and a pipe.  My dad is crouched down next to me smiling at the camera which I assume my mom was holding.  It's a happy scene.  While writing my memoir I haven't focused on many happy scenes because the story is about overcoming the unhappy scenes, but it's nice to remember that there were some happy scenes too.  And when I worry about some of the mistakes I've made with my kids, I have to remember that the person I am today is a result of both the happy and the sad scenes. 
My daughter asked when my book was going to be done because her friends are bugging her to read it.  I know I have to finish it, but it's depressing to work on.  However, I don't have many doubts that my writing would lack the depth and authenticity that people can relate to if the sad scenes in my life were not part of my story.  That does make it easier. 

No comments: