Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Music to My Ears

I love learning new things about my kids as they discover who they are, what they like and what they want to do. Jenna fell in love with Science this past school year.  Her teacher raved about her and she came home from school excited to explain sound waves and other things I didn't really understand.  I listened, but I knew this was a gene she got from her Dad and it took extra concentration on my part to stay focused on what she was saying.  Tonight, we had a new discovery.  I was in the living room when Johnny ran down the stairs and told me I HAD to hear the song Jenna wrote.  Jenna's been taking guitar lessons for a couple of months now, so I'm used to hearing guitar chords coming down from her bedroom, but it took me a few seconds for Johnny's words to sink in.  She wrote a song?  Holy cow!  I yelled upstairs for her to come down and play it for me.  Johnny was still telling me how much he liked it and that it almost made him cry.  Embarassed and a little self-conscious Jenna played it for me and I almost cried too.  It's American Idol, Crystal Bowersocks good!  After she played her song she looked at me with a big smile and said, "I don't even know how I wrote that.  It just came to me."  Finally, something I understand!

No comments: