Thursday, July 29, 2010

False Advertising: Recent Mormon tv and radio Ads

My friend, Linda asked me what was up with all the Mormon advertising lately.  I couldn't find any, so she sent me a link to a web site.  The ads are showing regular people doing their regular lives.  They are saying Mormons are JUST LIKE YOU.  There was a chat line available while I was on the site, so I thought I'd try it out.  Here's what happened.  I asked the woman why she considered herself a Christian because there is a big difference between the God Mormons believe in and the God Christians believe in.  She gave me an answer, but the answer was word for word what was on her script.  How do I know that?  Because they are the same words I was taught as a child in the Mormon church.  "We believe in God the father, in Jesus Christ his son and in the Holy Ghost."  I told her that the Bible's message is that Jesus died for our sins so we could be saved not through works but by faith alone.  I asked her if she believed in her salvation through faith or if she was still tied to the many things on her list like being married in the Mormon temple, giving her ten percent tithe, being baptized, etc.  She said that if I was sincere in my heart I would know that the Mormon church was true, another answer off her piece of paper although she didn't have to read it because she's been taught to say these words since the time she could walk.  Every Mormon you ask will give you the same answer, word for word because they are not their own words or thoughts.  These are the things that have been drilled into them since they can remember.  She said she couldn't help me so she was going to end the chat.  I told her that if these were her own thoughts and beliefs she could have this conversation with me instead of getting off line before something I said might cause her to doubt her faith for one second.  She said she could stay and chat if she wanted to, but she didn't have anything else to say.  Then she added that if I was sincere I would know the Mormon church was true.  I asked her how she could decide which one of us was sincere.  Wasn't that a little subjective?  Then I told her how free I've felt since reading the Bible and really understanding it for myself instead of listening to old men tell me what it meant.  I told her how great it feels to not have to carry the weight of your own salvation on your shoulders by your good works and deeds.  She hung up on me.  I prayed that God would let some little seed of doubt creep under all the brainwashing and begin to grow.  There is a lot more to say about Mormonism, so I'll make this the first of many posts on the subject.  I'll have to remember these ads when I'm feeling a little lethargic because they light a fire under me even MORE so than Fantasy Football!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny! Awesome, you rock. Truth is truth! Last week in class we talked about false prophets, one of my classmates asked about Morman and Mr. Smith (that's his name right?) and it was very clear based on his falsehoods that he was a false prophet. It makes me sad that so many people are subjected to these things they hold true, but are lies and falsehoods. They are basing their lives on the falsehoods by others. I am sorry for them, good job following up on what I was seeing as common on tv and I understand is on radio now!

greeneyesmcr said...

Well written, Jenny! I feel sorry for them. They have no idea what it is to be free in Christ!

Renee Vaughan said...

As a young girl, my idea of a Mormon was big teeth, lots of singing brothers, and no soda pop. As my horizons expanded in college, I learned that Mormonism, (or is it Mormonity?) also included wearing extremely large white underwear. I'll admit, there are some days I'm very interested in Mormology because I need a few spare wives around here. That is another story for another day.

Remember the other night at coffee I mentioned I didn't want to teach anymore because I'm so tired of trying to prove a point, tired of being impassioned about something, (which was at the time equality amongst all humans---excluding the mean and stupid ones, of course,) only to have people scream out some two second talk-radio sound bite they heard on the drive in. A blurb that was probably fun to yell, but they themselves took no time to understand it, and were incapable of backing up their sound bite with actual insight or analysis. (Side note: analysis has the word anal in it... heheheh!) A much wiser teacher told me that it was my job to stop trying so damned hard. Just pretend you are pushing a little street cart full of hot dogs... offering your wares to whomever is hungry. If they are hungry they will buy a hot dog. If they aren't, they won't.

My first job out of college was trying to sell long distance to small businesses. Somehow I ended up at the Eckankar headquarters in Chanhassen. I scored a meeting with the humbly titled man, "Modern Prophet Living ECK Master." His real name was Harold Klemp and he was from Wisconsin. His followers called him Sri. I knew ten minutes into our meeting that I was not going to sell this man long distance any more than he was going to convince me to, "Soul travel to another spiritual plane," with him. Que Sera Sera.

Keep writing the good write, Jenny.

Unknown said...

Interesting that she judged the sincerity of your "no strings attached" faith. I guess faith with strings is much more genuine and sincere.

Anonymous said...

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I'm very happy with my faith. I'd just like to make it clear to those that are reading your blog that Jesus Christ is a member of the Godhead. Jesus Christ came to earth as the Son of God which is why he says in the bible that he layed down His life for us and has the power to take it up again. (John 10:17-18)
His mortal body was able to feel pain and sickness because of His mortal mother Mary. There is not any physical pain or mental anguish that you will experience in this life that Jesus has not already felt. This is why Jesus Christ knows how to feel compassion for us and knows the best way to comfort us while we go through this test of mortal life.
As far as the " old men " that you refer to in your blog these are prophets of God. Prophets were called by God in Bible times. Are you calling them old men also that interpret everything for us?
The key to true prophets is that by their fruits shall ye know them. Luke 6:43-44
If the supposed prophet has the group drink grape kool aid and they all die then common sense tells you that he wasn't a true prophet.

If the prophet tells you to spend quality time with your spouse and children, read the scriptures together,pray as a family, serve others, treat your body as a temple, get a good education, attend your worship meetings, then we know that this is a true prophet because we can do these things and feel the love of God increase among our families.
The other thing about a true prophet is that they don't self appoint themselves. They are actually called of God.

I find it very interesting that a so called Christian would tear apart someone else's religion. I don't set out to make anti- Episcopalian blogs because that's not a Christian thing to do.
The other food for thought is that when Christ sets up His church on the earth Satan will always stir up people to fight against it.
Salvation is a free gift but it doesn't mean that you can break the commandments and not have consequences for doing so. The so called "rules " that you speak of and dislike so much are a wise Heavenly Father giving us a road map to true happiness. For example , living the word of wisdom, brings my body into a healthy state and keeps me free from addictions. This actually empowers me and gives me more freedoms.
I show my love for Jesus Christ by keeping His commandments.

I would enjoy keeping this conversation going with any questions you may have.

Food for thought - If I want to learn how to be a doctor I don't ask a football player.

Brian

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you posted a comment. I would love to continue this conversation. First, I wouldn't be blogging about Mormonism if the advertising was honest. If someone on tv explained their religion in a 30 seconds and left it at that, I would be fine. My problem is that your church is saying they aren't that different from everyone else. (see my latest post) You and I both know that Mormonism is not very similar to mainstream Christianity. Since you mentioned the prophet, let's start with him. Anyone can tell us to spend time together with your family, read scriptures and help others. If that is what makes a prophet then you and I could both be prophets. In Galations 1:6-8, Paul says, "I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who in his love and mercy called you to share the eternal life he gives through Christ. You are already following a different way that pretends to be the Good News but is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who twist and change the truth concerning Christ. Let God's curse fall on anyone, including myself, who preaches any other message than the one we told you about. Even if an angel comes from heaven and preaches any other message, let him be forever cursed." Doesn't it seem odd that an angel from heaven visited Joseph Smith to give him this "other" message? In 1 John we are told to test the spirits we hear so we know whether they are false or not because there will be many false prophets. I know the test for Mormons is a burning in your bossom, which is a feeling of conviction. But I have a feeling of conviction about my church, so how can we both be right? We can't. How do we decide which one to believe? Can we really say, well you're wrong because you don't feel what I feel? Even the radical muslims could say that. If there is to be any conversation it has to be based on facts, otherwise we are both just talking about our opinions and everyone on earth has an opinion. Let me know if you'd like to have more conversations which include facts. Thanks for posting a comment!