Sunday, December 22, 2013

Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Less Technology

It is nearly the end of another year and I find myself, again, lacking in consistency with my blogging.  Blogging is supposed to be consistent and often and should be short and sweet and have a particular purpose and audience and without it, a writer might as well start digging their own grave, because you MUST have an online presence if you're going to "make it."  That's what I've been reading, anyway.  Since when have I done anything someone told me to do?!  On another line of thought is the matter of my cluttered house.  I have had it! I enjoy the beginning of a new year because it gives me the extra motivation I need to start things, like decluttering and reorganizing. 

I've been thinking about this for awhile and I don't know whether it will get me where I want to be, but I think it's worth a try.  I am going to go technologically backwards.  My brain is overwhelmed with the constant barrage of media and information and I often can't think straight because there are too many thoughts in my head.  I want a typewriter to write with instead of a computer so I'm not tempted to check e-mail and facebook and amazon's deal of the day every time I sit down.  I want a rotary dial telephone attached to the wall with a short tangled cord I need to unwind on occasion. I want to get rid of my cell phone, but I still have a year left on my contract.  If my technological boycott goes well, maybe that will be the first thing to go next year.  I am not against technology in the least.  I think it's amazing and miraculous and helps us in many ways, but my head hurts and I need some space to think! 

I'm convinced that decluttering my mind will help me declutter my house and it won't be so hard to make time for family and friends.  So, how will I communicate with those of you who actually enjoy reading my posts?  I'm thinking I will post a short monthly newsletter to e-mail or maybe I'll have time to write the next book I have in mind and you can find me on Amazon.  So, as the year comes to an end I will be gathering e-mail addresses from anyone who would like to receive my posts/newsletters.  If you'd like to be on my e-mail list, e-mail me at jlguiton@Comcast.net.  I know not everyone receives every facebook post, so I will try to communicate this in several different ways, so forgive me if you receive this message twice.  If you'd rather not receive my e-mails and you're a friend of mine and feel obligated, don't worry.  You know I will forget all about it in a week or two anyway.  :)  Thank you for following my blog!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!