Tuesday, October 23, 2012

In "the Zone"

I should be raking my leaves, but I can't tear myself away from the computer.  I've been staring at it for 5 days straight working on the final, final, final edits for my book.  Every time I think it's done there's one more formatting mistake or one more word spelled wrong.  I'm now waiting for the proof book to arrive in the mail, and I can't do much until it arrives so I have time to do some house and yard work.  So, why am I still sitting at the computer?  I think it's because I'm in "the zone."  You know, that place where you get so focused on something that everything in your peripheral vision is gone and all you can see is the task at hand.  That never happens to me with laundry or dishes, but it used to happen to me when I played sports.  Now that my book is at the end of a 7 year process, it's all I can think about from the details of the picture on the cover to the spacing between every paragraph on all 258 pages to the color of the spine and the font of the title.  I'm obsessed with it all and my eyes burn and my head hurts and I need to tear myself away from the computer for at least a small break in the action!

I would love to stay in my "zone" and keep working, especially since I made it sound really cool in that last paragraph, but I hear my best friends in the background saying, "you just don't want to rake leaves.  Get off the computer!"  Unfortunately, I think they are right.  Time to go rake leaves.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It is hard to stop, especially when you're in "the zone". But life and leaves are calling you. Don't worry, the zone will have you back very soon because you never really "leaf" it!