Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Left Brain Cooking

This is my first blog via my phone instead of my laptop. These have to be shorter because I can't type as fast on this tiny keyboard with just my thumbs. 

As I was cooking tonight I realized why my food doesn't often turn out to be edible. It's because I use the same brain that I write with to cook.  When I write I have 1,000 different thoughts flowing through my mind and I grab at them like Lucille ball on the chocolate conveyor belt. I shove words, like pieces of chocolate, here and there and everywhere until I get as many of them as I can to fit together. Then I erase entire paragraphs or a whole post if I don't like it. While writing my book I deleted chapters!

When I cook I have the same sort of thoughts; "maybe I can use this ingredient instead of that one."  "I don't feel like using that many ingredients or I don't have all the ingredients so I'll substitute this!" And once the said meal comes out of the oven it's not so easy to just delete it. This is the same reason I'm not a great organizer. My random thought process is not condusive to order and following recipes. 

So why do I continue to cook? For one, I'm not as bad as I used to be. Two, at times it's pure necessity. Although at times necessity calls for fast food. And three, because I love my family and I'm ever hopeful that someday the fear in my family's faces will be replaced with the smiles and laughter we have when we eat a
papa johns pizza.