Saturday, November 9, 2013

Controlled Chaos Sessions 4, 5, 6


Session 4

 

Jen and I are back in the play therapy room sitting at the table with the sand tray, except instead of putting action figures in the sand, Jen sets down a piece of paper in front of me and some markers.

“I want you to draw a picture of how you feel.”

“Ok.”

I look at the markers.  I don’t know what to draw, but it’s easier to draw than talk.  The black and the red markers stand out to me.  I pick up the black marker and place the tip on the paper.  I quit trying to think and I just draw.  I make some peaks on a mountain.  Then I draw another mountain on the other side of the paper and a valley in the middle.  I draw myself as a stick person on the top of the mountain and a huge boulder hanging on the edge.  I don’t have to try to think anymore.  It’s just coming.  I make a frown and angry eyebrows and my arms on the boulder because I’m pushing the boulder off the cliff.  I look at the valley and then at the markers.  I choose light colors and draw three stick people in the valley; one light blue, one orange and the smallest one yellow.  I put the light colors down and pick up the black marker again and draw stairs going up the side of the mountain.  Then I draw a box around myself with bars on it.  I make the boulder so it’s just barely hanging, about to fall down on top of the three stick figures in the valley.  I look at the picture, put the marker down and look up at Jen.

“Who is at the top of the mountain?” 

“That’s me.”

“Why are you in a cage?”

“I feel trapped.”

“Who are the three people in the valley?”

“Those are my kids.”

“And what are you doing with the boulder?”

“I’m pushing it over the cliff on top of them.”

“Why?”

“I don’t want to, but I don’t know how to stop.”

“What do you think the boulder represents?”

I look at my little stick figure children in the valley and think about Andy. 

We’re in the neurologist’s office.  She is helping us determine why Andy has a facial twitch.  Our pediatrician said most kids grow out of them, but he hasn’t.  I’m trying not to think about the worst, but thoughts of brain tumors and cancer creep into my mind.  She checks Andy’s reflexes. Then she makes him follow her fingers with his eyes as she moves them up and down, back and forth.  She gives him a few more instructions and then tells us he’s fine.  JB and I look at her.  I don’t know what to say.  She hasn’t done any scans or anything.  She just moved her fingers around!  She tells us to take him to an eye doctor and a psychologist.  I can’t move.  She’s staring at us.  Andy hops off the table and walks toward me.  I still can’t talk.  I want her to do something.  JB says something and I follow him out of the office holding Andy’s hand.  I start thinking about who we’re going to call next.  Obviously, she doesn’t know what she’s talking about.  I can’t believe we’re going to pay for this.

We decide to take him to the eye doctor and psychologist so we can check that off our list before we find a competent neurologist.  Then we can show that we followed her orders.  The eye doctor says Andy has a slight stigmatism, but it’s not enough to cause twitching.  We get him some glasses anyway.  Then we take him to a child psychologist at a nearby counseling center.  We explain to her briefly what has happened with his twitching.  She asks to have a few minutes alone with Andy. We sit in the waiting room.  Two large pictures of flower arrangements are hanging just above the cherry wood trim.  One frame is slightly crooked, and I want to get up and straighten it, but there are people sitting in front of it.  Several minutes later, Samantha comes out of her office.  She tells us she is really glad we brought him.  He is showing some signs that could be causing his twitching.  I can’t move again.  I can’t talk.  She asks for a few more minutes with him.  I look around the office and begin to wonder what she saw.  Maybe my drinking and anger have caused his twitching.  My heart suddenly feels like lead.  I slump into a chair.  My mind is trying to wander back through his young life, but I can’t think.  I stare at the crooked picture frame.  The people who were sitting in front of the picture are gone, and there’s no one else in the waiting room, so I get up and push the bottom edge of the frame until it’s straight.

“Andy is in play therapy.  He has a twitch, and I think it’s because of me.  I yell a lot.  It’s like it comes out of nowhere.  One minute they make a mess and I’m fine, and the next minute Jenna spills some milk and I completely explode.”

I see pictures in my head of things I’ve done.  I look at the floor.  I like Jen so much; I don’t want to tell her things that will make her think less of me.  But, I have to tell her.  My kids are more important.  I take a deep breath. 

“One time when Jenna was three years old, I exploded and was screaming at her.  I didn’t stop until I saw the look on her face.  She was terrified.  I knew then that I needed help.  I worried that next time…” 

I trail off.  I don’t want to think about it.

“Next time what?”

I close my eyes.

“Next time…I might hit her.”

I open my eyes and look beyond Jen to a picture on the wall.  I can still see my daughter’s face.  She is curled up in a ball.  Her eyes are so big.  People used to stop me on the street to say what beautiful, big eyes she had.  Now they are full of terror.  I want so much to disappear, to make everything I’ve done go away.  I am the person I swore I would never become.  I hate myself.

“I also spanked Johnny once.  I mean, I had spanked him before, but one time I did it too hard.  I was out of control.”

I stop talking and put my head down.  I close my eyes.  After I did it, I knew I had crossed the line.  It was as if someone else was in my body. 

Johnny is screaming and holding his bottom.  My heart falls down through my chest.  I am frozen.  If I could die right now I would.  I pick him up and sit in the rocking chair.   I rock him back and forth and back and forth.  His crying finally dies down.  I hold him tight.  Tears run down my cheeks.  I want to say I’m sorry, but he’s so little.  He doesn’t understand.  He’s so sweet and innocent.  He deserves better than me.  He stops crying and falls asleep in my arms, but I’m not done rocking him.  I’m still crying.

“It might seem like your anger erupts without any warning, but there are signs you can watch for and ways to keep yourself from exploding.”

Jen gets up and opens a desk drawer.  She flips through some files and pulls out a piece of paper.  I think about child abuse.  Before I had kids I wondered how someone could hurt their own child.  I don’t wonder anymore.  I love my children more than anything.  If someone else tried to hurt them, I’d kill them.  So, how do I hurt the people I love the most?

“This is a chain analysis chart.  It will take us step by step through a situation and help us see where your anger comes from, and it will help you figure out what thoughts you need to change in order to change your behavior.”

I look at the worksheet as Jen walks me through it.

“What is something that just happened this week that you see as a problem behavior?”

It doesn’t take me long to think of being angry. 

“I blew up yesterday and threw a baseball bat across the garage.”

“Ok, write that in the first blank where it says problem behavior.’” 

I write in “angry” and “threw a bat in the garage.”

“Ok, what was the prompting event that started you on this chain to the problem behavior?”

“What do you mean?”

“What happened right before you blew up?”

“Nothing.”

“Something happened.  It doesn’t matter what it was.  It could be anything.”

“Well, I think I was making dinner.”

“Ok, write that down.”

I write down making dinner in the box entitled, “Prompting Event.”

“Do you remember how you were feeling while you were making dinner?”

“I think I was frustrated.”

“Do you remember why you were frustrated?”

“Because I was making a frozen pizza.”

“Was there something frustrating about that?”

“If I was a good mom, I’d be making something other than frozen pizza.”

“What would a good mom do?”

“She’d make a healthy meal with vegetables and fruit.  She’d make sure they have all their food groups and nutrition and they’d eat together and everyone would do their part, helping to set and clear the table.  It would be like the Brady Bunch.”

“Do you think there are real families like the Brady Bunch?”

“Yes.”

I don’t know why she’d ask that.  Isn’t everyone’s family like the Brady Bunch?  That’s all I want.  If I could be a combination of Mrs. Brady and Caroline Ingalls from Little House on the Prairie, I’d be perfect and my kids would be perfect and life would be perfect.

“One of the myths adult children of alcoholics believe is that everyone’s family looks like the families on TV. Actually, most families are dysfunctional in one way or another.”

I think about one of my mom’s friends.  Her house is spotless and her kids are perfect.  Once, her son didn’t make his bed before he left for school, so she went to the school, picked him up and brought him home to make his bed.  My mom was appalled that her friend would do something like that over an unmade bed.  I thought it was a little overboard, but it worked.  It intrigued me.  I wondered if that’s what you had to do to keep order in the house.

“What else was going on that day before you began to make dinner?”

“I ran some errands in the morning, and I was meeting someone in the afternoon, so I didn’t have time to go running.”

“Do you feel better after you run?”

“Yes.”

I think about how running has always been an outlet for me.  When I’m really frustrated, JB carefully asks me if I want to go for a run.  I get mad at him every time he asks because I know he’s really just saying I’m crabby.  But when I get back from running I feel like a different person.

“How often do you run?”

“I’ve been trying to run every day now.”

“That’s good.” 

She writes it on her whiteboard.

“Is there anything else you could have changed about your day that would have helped you not explode by dinnertime?”

“I guess if I’d had less things to do I wouldn’t have felt so rushed.  I would have had time to run.  And if I’d planned ahead for dinner, I wouldn’t have been late to my meeting.”

“And how did all those activities make you feel?”

“I was mad that I had to go to a meeting that night.  I was mad that I was an alcoholic.  I was mad that JB doesn’t trust me, and I was mad that my schedule was so crazy that day.”

Jen stands and starts writing the list of things I did that day on the whiteboard.

“So, you didn’t run, you had too many things scheduled, you aren’t accepting reality and you’re beating yourself up.  Looking at your environment, what do you think you could do to reduce your vulnerability to anger?”

I look at the whiteboard.

“What do you mean?”

“What are some things you could do that would lessen the chance of you getting angry?”

I start thinking about that day and how uncontrollable it feels when everything inside of me begins to erupt.  I had my outpatient group that morning. I ran errands.  I had lunch with a friend. By the time I got home I didn’t have time to run.  I hate it when I can’t run.  I clench my fist.  I breathe and try to think. 

“I always feel better when I run.”

“Ok, so you know running should be a priority for you.”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“What could you have done to fit running into your schedule?”

“I would have had to skip lunch to go running.”

“That’s good.”

She crosses out “lunch” from the whiteboard list.  I feel a little weight lifting as I look at the word lunch with a big line through it.  I’d never thought of cancelling something like that.  What a great idea.

“What else?”

“I could have asked JB to pick up his own dry cleaning.  He works really close to the cleaners.”

Jen puts a line through “errands” on her whiteboard.  As she does, I don’t feel any lighter.  I feel guilty. I don’t ask JB to do anything because he works and I stay home.  I feel like it’s my job to do everything else.

“How about dinner?  How could that be better?”

“If I had planned ahead, maybe we’d have healthier meals and we could all eat together.”

“That’s really good.  Now, what could you change about the thoughts you were thinking during dinner about being a bad mom?”

“Well…”

I feel like she wants me to say I’m a good mom or at least that I’m not a bad mom, but that’s not true.  I served frozen pizza.  I am in recovery for making a decision to drink instead of taking care of my children.  I want to buy a motorcycle and drive off as far from my problems as I can.  I am not all the positive things she wants me to say.

“Could you say that it’s not the worst thing in the world to make frozen pizza?  Or that you have had the courage to come in for help because you want to change instead of stubbornly continuing to drink and hurt your family?”

I can’t argue with that even if I am a bad mom.

“I guess I could say that I’m not drinking today.”

 Jen smiles.

“That’s the first positive thing you’ve said about yourself since you got here!”

 


Session 5

 

I’m on my way to Jen’s.  I park my car in front of the three story building.  I grab my notebook and purse.  I do my usual ritual of stopping in the bathroom before heading down the long hallway to Jen’s office.  I try not to look in the mirror, but it stretches across the entire wall and my reflection is hard to avoid as I wash my hands.  I walk down the hall to the office door.  The bell rings as I walk in.  There’s still no one else in the other therapists’ offices, and I wonder how they afford the rent here.  It’s an older building, so maybe it’s a lot cheaper than most places.  It’s definitely not like the therapist’s office where we take Andy. 

Andy’s play therapist is part of a busy, new office complex.  It’s hard to find a parking place, which is frustrating because I’m always late.  We enter the office on a marble floor and sign in with the secretary at a cherry, wood desk.  We sit in the large waiting room where there are always several people waiting their turn.  There are beautiful paintings on the wall and music pumped into the room through stylish speakers, but I like the atmosphere in Jen’s office better.  The carpet is old and the furniture is faded, but if we’re in the middle of an issue we may go 15 or 20 minutes over my time.  It’s like I’m her only patient and she has all the time in the world for me. 

I walk into Jen’s office.  She smiles at me as she looks up from the paperwork on her desk.  I sit on the old, comfortable couch and sink in.  She sits in her arm chair.

“How was your week?”

“It was okay.”

“Just okay?”

I should have said I was fine.  I hate answering these feeling questions.  But I need to be honest.  I’m agitated and don’t know why.  I need to think of some feeling words from the picture chart.

“I feel frustrated.”

“What is making you feel frustrated?”

I want to run out of the room.  I make myself come back mentally.  My thoughts feel like they are on the Scrambler ride at the county fair.  I can’t slow them down long enough to see what’s there.

“I don’t know.”

“Think of your week.  What comes to mind?”

“I was really busy this week.  It seems like I’m either bored or there’s too much going on.”

“Do you have a calendar?”

“At home I have one on the wall.”

“Do you see it often?”

“Not often enough.  I forget to look at it most of the time.”

“So, how do you plan things or keep track of your schedule?”

"I don’t.  I just do what’s in front of me at the moment.  If I’m excited about something I don’t forget.  But if it’s details and it’s not in front of me, I forget about it.”

“You need to get a pocket calendar that you can carry with you so you always have your schedule in front of you.”

“Ok.”

I get out my notebook and write that down.  I wonder if I’ll remember to look in my notebook this week. 

“You are probably creating most of the chaos in your life yourself.  A lot of people who grew up in chaotic homes become comfortable in that environment because it’s what they know.  Without realizing it, they create havoc in their lives because it’s the only way they know how to function.”

I cross my arms and look out the window.  That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

“What is your schedule like?”

“It’s all recovery stuff and my kids’ activities.”

“What was your life like before treatment and recovery?”

I smile a little.  I don’t even know where to start.

“I was homeschooling my kids, taking a class to finish my degree, writing skits for my church’s Women’s Ministry team, leading Bible studies, and running weekend retreats.  I coached my kids’ soccer and softball teams and was looking at how to add homeschool sports into the private school conference.”

“And you took care of your home and meals too?”

“Oh, yeah, that too.”

“That’s a really full schedule.”

“I like to keep busy.”

“Why do you think you like to keep busy?”

“I don’t like to waste time.”

“Is relaxing a waste of time?”

“Yes.  I mean people have to sleep, but I have thought it would be cool if I could learn to do that deep sleep thing so I would only need two-to-three hours of sleep a night.  Then I could get so much more done.”

“Have you ever thought that you keep yourself busy so you don’t have to be alone with yourself and your thoughts and your feelings?”

I look out the window again.  I am fascinated by Jen’s question.  I would never have thought of that, but it makes so much sense.  She’s right.  I don’t like being alone.

“I don’t know.  I never thought about it. I just don’t feel good when I’m not getting things done.”

“What kinds of things do you like to get done?”

“Well, there’s always housework, but that doesn’t really make me feel good.  I guess I feel the best when I do something for my church, like write a skit or help out with our Bible study.”

“Why does that make you feel good?”

“Because it makes me feel like I’m helping others, making them think differently, see God in a way they didn’t see him before.”

“How do you think God sees you?”

I’m quiet and still.  I start thinking about the ways I’ve taught others about how much God loves them no matter what they’ve done or who they are.  I’ve tried to write skits that move people in a way that they feel closer to God.  But how does God see me?

“I think he sees me as someone he created for a purpose.”

“For what purpose do you think he created you?”

“I think he gave me the talent to write and wants me to use it to help people.”

Jen shifts in her chair and her eyes seem browner, almost black as she leans closer to me.  She raises an eyebrow.

“Do you think God would think the same about you whether you were using your talent or not?  If you didn’t do another thing for your church do you think he’d still love you?”

I can’t look away from her intense gaze.  I feel like a rabbit caught in a trap.  I know the answer is supposed to be yes, but I can’t say that.  I don’t believe it.  How can God think the same way about the person who’s lying around on the couch watching soaps on TV and the person who sells their house to use the money to go to Africa to help millions of orphaned children? 

“No, I don’t think he would.”

“So, you think you need to earn his love?  Is that what you write about?”

“No!  I write about his grace and love for people.”

“So you’re special then.  The rules don’t apply to you.”

I move around on the couch.  I’m hot and my heart is beating fast.  She doesn’t understand either.  She is starting to sound like Nancy.  Nancy keeps telling me life isn’t about how much I do, but about who God says I am.  No one understands me.  I can’t explain that inner drive to be the best at something.  It’s been there as long as I can remember.  The drive to achieve something is like a train.  It’s so fast and powerful.  There are no brakes.  It never stops.  It just goes and goes and goes.

“That’s not what I mean.”

“That’s what you said.”

“I know, but….I can’t explain it.”

“Listen, people can’t keep themselves going 110 percent all the time without burning out.  Alcoholics are often workaholics as well.  And for the most part, people who are workaholics are just covering their fear of being alone and their fear of failure.”

I’m letting her words roll around in my mind.  I’ve been living at 110 percent for years.  I don’t know how else to do it.

“I would like to teach you some exercises to help you slow down your mind.”

It sounds painful, but it might be a relief if I could get my thoughts to slow down enough to put them in order a little bit.  Jen pushes a button on a little CD player that sits on her shelf by her teapot.  Soothing music begins to play.  I move around on the couch cushions trying to get comfortable. 

“Close your eyes.”

I close my eyes.  The notes from the music float from the CD player to my mind. 

“Take a deep breath in, and let it out slowly.”

I listen to her breathe in and out. I take a deep breath in.  As I breathe out, my shoulders roll inward and I put my hands between my knees.  The weight of my thoughts pulls my head down.  

“Take another deep breathe in and as you let it out, picture your anger and anxiety as the color red and you’re pushing it out of your body as you exhale.”
 
I try to visualize the color red inside my body.  I have trouble seeing the color red inside me.  The music continues to flow into my head and my brain is melting.  I hear her saying something about breathing in a white light and breathing out the red.  I’m trying to see the white light, but it’s harder to see than the red.  I take a deep breath and try to force the white light to appear.  The music takes me to a beach with palm trees and white sand.  I’m in Mexico with JB and we’re walking along the beach listening to the waves crash against the shore and run up over our feet.  It feels cold and tickles as it runs quickly and forcefully back to the sea.  The shells disappear and reappear with every wave that washes in.

“Jenny.”

I open my eyes.  Jen is looking at me. 

“Are you following?”

“I think I was with you for a while. I had a hard time focusing on the lights and I started thinking about the music and then I was in Mexico.”

 Jen pushes the button on CD player and the music stops.

 "I don’t think we’re going to go any further until we get you tested for Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).”

A wave of emotion washes over me as the tide of the Mexican daydream vanishes.  Not going any further.  I was just starting to feel comfortable talking.  There’s so much inside of me.  I just want her to keep pulling things out of me until they stop torturing me.  I’ve kept them buried for so long, and we’re finally digging them out.  But she stopped digging.  And now she’s taking our shovels and hanging them up.  I feel mixed emotions, wanting to share my pain with someone, but relieved that I don’t have to.  On the other hand, ADD could be my answer.  I’ve always wondered what was wrong with me.  Why couldn’t I concentrate in my classrooms growing up?  Why did I always get caught staring out the window?  Why couldn’t I keep my house and life organized?  ADD would make sense.  Of course!  This is the piece of the puzzle I’ve been missing for so long.

Jen changes gears and looks up a name for me: Dr. Randy Nelson.  She hands me a piece of paper, and I copy down the clinic information. 

“I want you to call him when you get home and make an appointment.”

We talk about ADD for the rest of the session; what it is, how it works, why it makes life so difficult.  I’m completely lost in this new development.  Maybe this is the answer to all of my problems, and things will be so much easier once I get some ADD medication.  I’m expecting a miracle as we end our session a little early, both of us invigorated by this piece of the puzzle.  I can’t wait to get home.  I haven’t been sharing much with JB about my sessions with Jen, and I don’t like to talk to him about my feelings, but I can’t wait to tell him ADD is the answer to all of our problems. 


   
Session 6

I’m dragging a bag full of ADD books down the hallway to Jen’s office.  I bought them after leaving her office last week.  I don’t hesitate at the office door today because I’m excited to get inside and talk some more about this ADD solution.  I’ve read a lot of chapters out of all four of the books and I’ve made my appointment with Dr. Nelson.  I’m frustrated with JB’s response.  He doesn’t believe I have ADD.  Neither does Nancy. They think I’m just looking for a magic pill to make everything go away.  So what if I am?  From what I’ve read so far the magic pill works!  I could have a normal life.  I could have one long constant flow of thought without getting off track.  ADD seems so obvious to me now.  I don’t know how they can’t see it?  What do they know?  They think they know everything!  I hate that!  Jen is a therapist with a license.  Plus, JB and Nancy are so logical.  I know they don’t understand me.   

Jen hears me come in and barely has a chance to say anything before I walk up to her office door.

“Hi.”

I walk in and sink into my spot on the couch.  I have my books and calendar in a red bag I set on the floor. 

“It looks like you brought some things with you today.”

“Yeah, I bought a calendar, a wristband, some athletic tape and six books about ADD.  I only brought four of them with me and I made an appointment with Dr. Nelson.”

“Great!  When is your appointment?”

“I couldn’t get in until next week.”

“That’s great.”

I pull the books out of my bag and set them on the couch.   

“I’ve been reading a lot this week.  My favorite book was, Moms with ADD.  It explained what is expected in the role of being a mom vs. what the world actually gets with an ADD mom.  It focused on the positive aspects of ADD like creativity and inspiration and a better ability to play with your kids.  It also had a lot of great coping skills and information on medication.” 

I think I should feel as excited as I sound, but I feel empty.  I feel like we hit a fork in the road and turned the wrong way.  I can’t wait to get to Dr. Nelson’s office and get a confirmation of my ADD along with the magic pill that will change my life!  But I’m worried that if I do have ADD, Jen will think that’s the answer to my problems and she won’t ask me anymore questions or try to draw out how I feel.  What if this is one of the last times I get to sit on her couch?  I breathe in deep and sit up straighter.  I feel the few cracks we’ve made in the wall around my heart beginning to seal up. 

Jen looks at the pile of stuff I brought.

“What is the wristband for?”

“Well, I bought the calendar and put my schedule in there, but it didn’t help me remember what I needed from the grocery store or an errand, so I thought if I could write down everything I needed on my wrist every day, then I’d have it right in front of me where I couldn’t forget it.”

“That’s a great idea!  How did it work?”

“Well, it still needs some work.”

 My first trip with my wristband is out to the drug store where I not only need to pick up medications for JB, but I also need to get lunch bags and distilled water.  I write all three things down on the athletic tape and wrap it around the wristband, which is on my arm.  I pull my sleeve down over the wristband as I walk into the store.  I walk down the card aisle and start thinking about my father-in-law because his birthday is coming up.  I tell myself that I need to get him a card before the end of the month.  I walk to the next aisle and stop.  I don’t know where I’m going.  I think about what I need and remember the wristband.  I look around to see if anyone is watching me.  I don’t see anyone.  I pull up my sleeve and look at the list.  Oh yeah, distilled water.  I walk a few aisles down.  Then I see the aisle with paper and pens, and I veer toward the pens.  I love pens.  I start looking at my favorites; the fine tip ball point pens.  I grab a three-pack rationalizing to myself that it’s ok to buy them since I’ve been doing so much journaling and recovery homework.  It makes it easier to fill in the emotional blank spaces when I use my favorite pen.

I start walking down the aisle.  Where next?  I look at my wrist again.  Oh yeah, distilled water.  I need to focus.  I walk down the next aisle and grab the distilled water.  I look at my wrist again: lunch bags.  This is kind of cool.  I would have forgotten something by now, for sure!  But I feel like an idiot.  Who loses track of what they’re looking for with each new aisle or item that attracts their attention?!  I’m so stupid.  I get the lunch bags and head toward the check out.  I keep my eyes down on the counter so I don’t have to meet the eyes of the cashier.  I heave the gallon jug of water onto the counter and wince as I notice my wristband is sticking out.  I look up at the cashier, but she doesn’t seem to notice it.  I slide my sleeve back down over the wristband.  I pay, and she puts my receipt in the bag.  She says to have a good day.  I’ve already turned to walk away so I add a half-hearted, “You too.”  It’s probably not very convincing.  I climb into my van and sit behind the steering wheel.  I can’t help thinking about how stupid I am.  I feel like I’m slower than the other people in the store.  I wonder if I will ever feel like part of society again.  I get home.  That’s when I realize I forgot to get the medications.  It was even on my wrist!

“Has your calendar helped you keep track of your schedule?”

“When I remember to bring it with me.”

“Your number one rule with your calendar should be that you don’t schedule anything unless you have your calendar with you.”

“That’s a good idea.” 

I get out my notebook to write that down so I don’t forget.  I’ve found that I don’t remember much of my therapy sessions unless I write it down.  

“How did you do with your anger this week?”

I think back through the week. I can only remember bits of yesterday and the trip to the store.

“I was more depressed than angry this week.”

“What made you feel depressed?”

“I feel that way most of the time when I don’t feel angry.”

“Do you know that anger is a form of depression?”

“No.”

That’s weird.  Anger and depression seem completely opposite.  Sometimes this therapy stuff doesn’t make any sense.

“Many people with anger don’t realize they are depressed, because it expresses itself in a different way.”

It makes me think about one of my appointments with the psychiatrist at the treatment center.  She wrote down that I have chronic depression.  I asked what that meant.  She said it meant I’ve had depression for many years.  That sounded wrong because I was a very happy person until I started drinking.  Now it makes more sense, because I’ve been angry for as long as I can remember. 

“What do you think about when you’re depressed?”

“Well…”

What do I think about?  Mostly I don’t think at all.  I just exist.  But it is better now than when the depression was at its worst.  One day in particular stands out. 

I’m sitting in my office.  No one else is in the house.  I’ve been sitting on this chair staring at the wall and I don’t know how much time has passed.  My head hurts.  It’s not like a headache.  It’s darkness.  It’s a black hole sucking the life out of me.  It’s not stagnant.  It’s active.  It tortures me.  I close my eyes and rock back and forth.  It does nothing.  It doesn’t matter how I move, what I say, what I do.  It follows me.  It haunts me.  I want to push on it to ease the pain like I do with a stomachache.  I just want to ease the pain a little, but the pain is so deep, like a deep-tissue bruise that nothing can reach.  Today is worse than usual.  It stretches on like there is no beginning and no end.  I just want it to go away.  I start thinking of ways out.  I think about getting into my car and letting the garage fill up with exhaust.  I think about shooting myself.  I think about a big bottle of pills.  That’s it.  I think of a huge bottle and then lots of bottles.  I pour handfuls into my mouth and swallow them down with a glass of water.  I watch myself slowly fall asleep.  I look so peaceful in my imagination.  I drift away into Jesus’ arms.  He is holding me.  There is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus.  I don’t feel guilt, just relief.  The thoughts of suicide relieve my mind just a tiny bit.  It’s all I can do.  These thoughts draw me.  I want to get closer to them.  I go over this image again and again.  My shoulders feel so heavy.  Weights hold me to the chair.  I feel like I can’t move a muscle.  I finally look away from the wall.  I look at the clock.  It seems like it’s been an eternity.  It’s only been five minutes.  I can’t keep going.  Someone has slowed the clock down to an impossible existence and I wonder why God is doing this to me.  This must be what hell is like.  No, I think it must be worse than hell.  Nothing can compare to this deep, heavy darkness.  It’s like it will never end. 

 "It’s not as bad as it used to be.”

“Are you taking your medication?”

“Yes.”

“How long have you been taking it?”

“I started it in the fall before I went to treatment.”

“We should look into getting you something else if this isn’t working.”

“Ok.” 

“Something we touched on, but haven’t really gone through is your diet and exercise.  These are extremely important to your mental health.  Are you still running every day?”

“I’m trying.”

I know Jen thinks this is a good thing.  And I think it’s a good thing, but there is some huge tension with JB about my running.  He always wants to know how long I’ll be gone or where I’m going.  I hate it!  I can’t stand that he wants to know where I am all the time.  And Nancy has a totally different take on my running.  She thinks I just switched one addiction for another.  Well, at least with running I’m staying in shape.  How bad can it be?!

“How are your eating habits?”

“Well, they’re not great, but they’re not bad.”

“There’s a great nutrition website I want you to go to.  There are all kinds of books and other places to learn how to eat healthy.  It’s really important for your recovery, so I want you to keep track of your exercise and watch what you’re eating.  It’s good to avoid caffeine, especially if you have ADD.”

“Ok.”

I’m all for the running, but I know before I even leave her office that I’m not going to look up a nutrition website.  I’m also not giving up my Mountain Dew.  I know there is caffeine-free Mountain Dew, but that seems like drinking non-alcoholic beer.  What’s the point?