Tuesday, September 3, 2013

In Memory of Mr. Ron Dittmer, My Second Dad. We Will Miss You!

Two weeks ago I started working full time as a drug and alcohol counselor.  Friday, on my way home from work, I got a call that my best friend from high school's dad had passed away.  Having spent my Jr. High and High school years at their house, he was like a dad to me.  I came home and cleaned my house quick before our fantasy football draft party, which if you play fantasy football, you know what a big deal the draft is.  The next morning we dropped off my first born at River Falls for his first year of college.  Sunday was a day of rest...and mowing the lawn and trimming the long overdue grass and laundry and stuff.  Monday I went to my friend's house and talked to the family about the funeral arrangements and today at work I was given my case load of 40+ people. 

I've been trying to get back to blogging since April.  That was the last time I apologized for not blogging consistently.  It's not that I haven't had anything to write about since then.  My life has not been as full as it has in the last two weeks, but there have been plenty of things to write about.  I think the reason I'm finally blogging is because there is nothing like losing someone you love that puts life into perspective.  I wrote about Carrie's dad in my memoir and I can't think of a better way to talk about what he means to me than to share the passage.

"As I dive, my outstretched glove grabs the ball a foot off the ground and I slide to a stop keeping my glove in the air for the umpire to see.  Carrie's dad is so excited, he's screaming and shouting and jumping up and down on the sideline.  It wasn't a tournament game or anything important, but the catch was amazing, something right out of the movies.  My heart swells up with pride, and I drink in every wonderful feeling this moment brings.  Carrie's dad talks about it for weeks afterward.  Every time it comes up I savor the attention and tuck some of it away for later when I'm lonely and thirsty for attention, and there's nothing else to drink."

Today, I have a lot of people who love me and encourage me and make a difference in my life.  When I was a young teenage softball player I was a lonely, confused kid who craved attention.  The attention I got from Carrie's dad made an incredible difference in my life and reminds me of the power we each have to make a difference in someone else's life.  So, in memory of Mr. Dittmer, thank you for and your whole family for accepting me as one of your own.  I hope I can pass on the love and acceptance you've shown me.