Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year's Resolution 2013, The Year "To Be"

Today I was reading about King David giving God glory for giving him his hearts desires, with nothing he requested held back. It reminded me of the verse I read yesterday about the disciples, if they believe they will receive whatever they ask for in prayer. Then my friend replied to my hurried text this morning saying, “You have time. No need to rush it. Take a deep breath and enjoy the opportunity to write. It’s a blessing.” Then I Iistened to a sermon from Eaglebrook’s website talking about how my own efforts to be good and righteous are a waste of time. I even got a visual when they showed a video of a son who was born unable to walk or talk. His father bought him a special computer so his son could communicate with him. The son asked to run a 5k race at his school, so this father didn’t just run the 5k with him, but since has run, swam and biked thousands of miles pushing his son in a wheel chair, pulling him in a raft and carrying him on his bike. The exertion on the father’s face in contrast to the happiness on his son’s face was more than I could handle as I literally caught my breath in a sob realizing that God doesn’t want me to use my workaholic tendencies to do anything for him, he just wants me to get in the wheel chair and enjoy the ride; get in the boat and cross oceans; ride on his bike and see the world! 
 
I haven’t made a new year’s resolution in a few years, because I always fail to achieve it. But that seems to be the point; I’ve always made a “To Do” goal.  This year I’m making a “To Be” goal.  Because basically, I’m tired and I want a piece of the joy I saw on the son’s face as he was pushed across the finish line by his father, whose happiness was evident in watching his son celebrate their victory. 
 
Matthew 7:11 “If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jenny,

When we get to the point of wanting to "just be" that's when we're set free from the bondage of "doing". That's when God can really use us. "Be still and know that I am God." Best advice.

Great post with a revolutionary resolution!

Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

http://www.brass-instruments.co.uk/ in a vision of the night. [url=http://www.borderfarmsupplies.co.uk/]hollister shops uk[/url] If that is what it takes to insult her. these are feral cats and will not be able to find placement in a home. hollister shop Feral cats are not house cats as they have grown up without human socialization.