Monday, February 7, 2011

Packer Fan for a Day

Being adamant Viking fans, my son Johnny and I, are careful to make sure we don't mix green and yellow colors for fear that someone might mistake us for Green Bay Packer fans or worse that we will disturb the delicate temperment of superstition, which can cause an entire season to go down the tubes because someone washed the lucky socks or in our case a green Christmas napkin was mistakenly set on the yellow table cloth.  You get the picture.  We take football seriously.  So, it was not easy yesterday to call myself a Packer fan.  But the superbowl is a different animal and when a team in your division is playing for the ring, it's time to put away years of animosity and pick up a cheese hat.  It was a weird feeling because our fantasy football league has some Packer fans we've been harassing for years.  We had two disenters rooting for the Steelers, not because they're steeler fans, but because they weren't willing to join sides with the einemy.  I, however, felt like a sibling rivalry turned to fierce support for my family when the fight moved outside our family boundaries.  Like brothers that beat each other mercilessly until an outside threat causes them to fight on the same side.  Even though it still feels odd, I am happy to see Aaron Roger's smiling face on NFL network which is on 24/7 if Johnny has the remote control.
On another note, one of my faithful readers who is in my fantasy football league asked me why I hadn't posted anything about our fantasy football play offs, division championship and superbowl, especially since I'd talked about it several times through out our season.  I told him that after I lost the superbowl game I was in mourning and couldn't get out of bed, let alone post something on my blog.  When I did finally start functioning again, I must have subconsciously or maybe consciously, left it behind me.  I have had a great fantasy football record, having been in at least half the superbowls since I started playing and winning three superbowl rings.  That's not a bad record, but it doesn't make losing the superbowl any easier.  Unlike our generation's mantra of, 'everybody is a winner,' NOT everyone FEELS like a winner when they lose.  You can tell a bunch of kids who just lost their little league game that they played really good and they are winners just for playing!  But kids at a certain age are not aware yet of how they are supposed to act in public and their sad faces and slumped shoulders speak louder than our words.  So to my faithful reader, Big Returns, as he's called in our league, congratulations on your superbowl win.  But, I'll be impatiently waiting to strip you of your superbowl trophy next year!  Sincerely, Barbie (fantasy football name)   

No comments: