Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 New Year Restitutions!

I've had an itch lately to organize every room of my house.  I am great at coming up with ideas, but I'm not very good at following through.  I'd also like to be more disciplined and start exercising regularly and I might as well eat healthier while I'm at it.  These are all things that have been hovering in my mind as the New Year was approaching, but I was hesistant to call them "resolutions", because when I think of New Year's resolutions I put a lot of pressure on myself because the chance to make a New Year resolution only comes once a year.  I also have a hard time making little goals because I want BIG changes, so I make huge goals that seem totally possible until I wake up early on January 1st and roll over rather than roll out.  
The other problem I have with resolutions is that I make the same ones every year and I do the same thing every year to acheive them and every year I fail.  Obviously, that's not working.  While wondering how I was going to make it different this year, I thought about the things I have been successful at; I have almost 7 years of sobriety and I've been married for 19 1/2 years.  There has to be something else, but that's all I can think of.  So, why am I succeeding at those two things?  Two things come to mind; they are EXTREMELY important to me and I get help with both of them.  When I say extremely important I mean that my life would be radically different without either one and imagining the consequences of losing my sobriety or my marriage or both scares me alot! Enough to motivate me to act.  Getting help means going to my AA meetings, seeing my therapist when I need it, and having friends who hold me accountable. 
So, how do I translate that to organizing, exercising and eating better?  Well, now that I think of it those goals would definately make my life better, but the consequences of not doing them won't radically change who I am.  I am me whether there are piles of papers all over my desk or stacks of books on the floor or unfinished projects laying on top of pictures that don't have a home.  As a matter of fact, I am probably more "me" with all that stuff lying around than if I had it all put away.  And having four different pant sizes in my closet just means there is either more of me or less of me and who doesn't want more of me?!  Lol.  So, before I run into the kitchen to grab another cup of coffee and some left over chocolate, I think I will skip the resolutions this year to make some restitution with my fragile ego and pat myself on the back for another successful year of marriage, sobriety and honest, true friends.

No comments: